[rspec-users] Rspec: gem vs. plugin?

Wes Gamble weyus at att.net
Wed Oct 8 14:39:11 EDT 2008

I know that this is all probably rather boring for the expert RSpec-ers
out there, and I apologize for that.

Both Rspec and Rspec-Rails are currently distributed as both plugins AND
gems?  Are the plugins just available in case you don't have the
ability/permission to install gems?

I can understand why there would be an RSpec gem (to use outside of
Rails, of course), and I can understand why there is a Rails plugin to
give you additional RSpec functionality for Rails.

But I'm not sure what the purpose of the RSpec plugin is, and also not
sure what the purpose of the RSpec-Rails gem is?

Is there a place online that summarizes the various distribution methods
and when to use which?

Thanks,
Wes