[rspec-users] Testing Generators

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:39:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Pau Cor <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Scott Taylor wrote:
>> Why don't you generate the specs when you generate the code?
>
> That's what I thought I'd have to do. The reason I'm reluctant to do it
> is that either I need to write the real code first (and not tests
> first). Or I need to rerun my generator every time I write a new test
> (or write the code to make the test pass).

If you know what code you're trying to generate, you could use the
"gold master" approach, where you write a file with the code you want
to produce (the "gold master") and use that as the source of expected
values created by the generator. Using regular expressions or tools
like Hpricot you can do this incrementally.

It's not necessarily easy :) But it does let you write tests first.

Cheers,
David