[rspec-users] post authentication token

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Oct 7 03:45:18 EDT 2008

This is actually a pretty tough problem for a newbie, and sent me
reeling away from the story runner with my gumption in tatters the
first time I tried it.

You could probably figure out how to post an authentication token in
the HTTP headers if you use the basic underlying rails integration
session method post(), but you may be better off just walking through
the steps a real user would carry out in order to log in:

Given /logged in/ do
	visits "/login"
	fills_in :username, "Matt"
	fills_in :password, "secret"

This is what we do, and though instinctively it feels a little bit
slow and clunky to do this at the top of every scenario that requires
the user to be authenticated, in practice it's working fine for us,
and I actually find it rather nice to know you're only vaguely coupled
to the implementation.

Note that these steps above use the 'webrat' library which is the de-
facto way to talk to your rails app from feature steps.