[rspec-users] Uninitialized constant Spec:Story

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Mon Oct 6 15:28:43 EDT 2008

Mark Thomson wrote:
> Good shot - that worked! :-)
>
> Still, I'm curious as to why. Poking around with my very rudimentary
> knowledge of how ruby gems work, it looks as if the files that define
> Spec::Stories are in the rspec gem, not the rspec-rails gem, and as
> far as I can see there is nothing in the skeleton files that get
> installed in <app>/stories to require those files. Does this suggest
> that the line you recommended should be added to the release? But am I
> the only person to have this problem?
>
> Mark.

Well, I lied- I have had that exact same problem before.  So it wasn't
really in the dark, but I wasn't 100% sure it was the same problem. :)
I think either the helper.rb generator changed and removed the
'spec/story' line or the rails adapter changed and removed the needed
require it may of once had.  So the problem should be fixed in one of
those places IMO.  We just had a series of rspec releases and I don't
know if this would qualify for another emergency fix.

WDYT David or Pat?

-Ben