[rspec-users] would I stub an existing class method out or use fixtures in this scenario?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sun Oct 5 16:56:53 EDT 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2008, at 12:26, Greg Hauptmann wrote:
>> BankAccount.any_instance.stubs(:balance?).returns(<as required>)).
>>
>> Do people normal use the "any_instance.stubs" approach to stub out
>> existing classes already developed, as a means to minimize associated
>
> Is this any_instance thing in the rspec mocking framework now? I
> vaguely remember wanting this a few weeks ago and it was only in
> mocha or another of the competing mocking frameworks.

No, it isn't.  Most consider it a code smell, which is why it hasn't
been high on the priority list.

I submitted a patch a while back for this (see: http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645/tickets/28-6791-stub-return-values-for-all-instances-of-a-class#ticket-28-5)
, which wasn't accepted into core for asthetic reasons.  Feel free to
revise it ;)

Scott