[rspec-users] Difference between gem and plugin

Fernando Perez lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Oct 5 12:20:12 EDT 2008

> Why ask us when you can ask rubygems?
Well I prefer to ask (and sound stupid 5 minutes) than not ask (and be
stupid all my life), that's the way I work. From the cucumber github
wiki located at: http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis

(Rails people – see Ruby on Rails).

After you have installed Ruby or JRuby – install Cucumber with the
following command:

gem install cucumber

When I go to the Ruby on Rails wiki page, Aslak says to install Cucumber
as a plugin. Therefore I was wondering if for a Rails app, installing
Cucumber as a gem was okay.

In the past, even though the RSpec gem existed, it was recommended to
install the plugin version of rspec if it was going to be used with a
Rails app.