[rspec-users] Difference between gem and plugin

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:38:43 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Fernando Perez <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>> How do you go plugin-less for RSpec? The plugins require you to generate
>>> some files, so how do you do that without a plugin? Is there still a
>>> rake task in the gem to generate the required files?
>>
>> I'll post this up on the wiki, but the steps are:
>>
>> [sudo] gem install rspec-rails
>> script/generate rspec
>>
>> That's it.
>>
>> rspec is a dependency of rspec-rails, so installing the rspec-rails
>> gem will also install the rspec gem.
>>
>> Once installed, if you type 'script/generate' with no arguments,
>> you'll see all the rspec generators listed. 'script/generate rspec'
>> generates the files necessary to work with rspec without having to
>> install the plugins in your app.
>>

> It doesn't :-P
>
> Just tried that on a fresh application, and when call script/generate
> rspec it just not find it and don't execute it :-P
>
> Also, going to the gem version instead of the plugin requires a new
> set of script files, since they try to look for vendor/plugins/
> instead of doing:
>
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'spec'
>
> Last, but not least, you need to do
>
> config.gem 'rspec-rails', :lib => 'spec/rails' since Rails will try by
> default to load 'rspec-rails' module instead.
>
> Wow, lot of details :-P

Hmmm. Wonder if this is a windows thing. Or maybe you have an older
version of rubygems? It works as I prescribed for me with the
following:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]
$ gem -v
1.3.0
$ rails -v
Rails 2.1.1
$ spec --version
rspec 1.1.8

Besides the OS, what's different in your system?