[rspec-users] Difference between gem and plugin

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:58:20 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Fernando Perez <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> How do you go plugin-less for RSpec? The plugins require you to generate
> some files, so how do you do that without a plugin? Is there still a
> rake task in the gem to generate the required files?

I'll post this up on the wiki, but the steps are:

[sudo] gem install rspec-rails
script/generate rspec

That's it.

rspec is a dependency of rspec-rails, so installing the rspec-rails
gem will also install the rspec gem.

Once installed, if you type 'script/generate' with no arguments,
you'll see all the rspec generators listed. 'script/generate rspec'
generates the files necessary to work with rspec without having to
install the plugins in your app.

Cheers,
David