[rspec-users] Newbie's question about generated features by cucumber in Rails

Lian Liming lianliming at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 12:22:58 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am new to rspec and trying to use cucumber to learn writingfeatures.
I follow the wiki page
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/ruby-on-rails to start
my first feature.

The command "ruby script/generate feature Frooble name color
description" generates a file "manage_froobles.feature" with
itscontent as following:

------ manage_froobles.feature ---
Feature: Manage froobles
 In order to keep track of froobles
 A frooble mechanic
 Should be able to manage several froobles

 Scenario: Register new frooble
   <....omit some lines here...>

 Scenario: Delete frooble
   Given there are 4 froobles
   When I delete the first frooble
   Then there should be 3 froobles left

   | initial | after |
   | 100    | 99    |
   | 1       | 0     |
------end of  manage_froobles.feature ---

I quite understand most of lines in this file except the last few
lines, which composes a two-column table with heads "initial" and
"after". I am really confusing on what is the meaning of those data. I
have studied some background knowledge about stories in BDD, while
those don't help me understand this. So any hints?  Thanks in dvance!

Liming