[rspec-users] Difference between gem and plugin

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:57:23 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Donald French <dhf0820 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me the difference ins the gem versions and the plugin
> versions? do they work together? need both?

You do not need both. The plugin versions are for Ruby on Rails
projects. Rails had a way of loading plugins from the vendor/plugins/
directory. This will most likely deprecate (or become less and less
used)  as Rails has added support for bundling gems with the project
in the vendor/gems/ directory.

The gem versions of rspec are the ones that are intended for everyday
use. I would go with those unless you are supporting a Rails
application in the 1.2.x family or earlier.

Zach Dennis