[rspec-users] Slides from my talk on Cucumber + Celerity + RSpec tonight

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 06:30:54 EDT 2008

On Oct 02, 2008, at 6:07 am, aslak hellesoy wrote:

> Thanks a lot for sharing Ashley.
> This is a really good introduction to BDD. Short enough to be
> graspable for people who are new to it - long enough to be really
> valuable. I can imagine you had a good time! I really like that you
> started off by talking about business value (So that). The two
> sentences about acceptance criteria (verifiable by humans and discrete
> for machines) really nail down what BDD acceptance criteria are about.

Hi Aslak

Yeah!  It was fun.  The interactivity worked better than I expected.
I think it made it sink in too.  One thing I've learnt about stories
is they are very academic until users see real software that
implements them.

> I'm ccing the Celerity crew - they also live here in Oslo.

I haven't used it extensively but I'm already a big fan of it.  One
guy last night said that Cucumber + Celerity has completely renewed
his interest in automated acceptance testing, after giving up on FIT
and Selenium.  He says it's also the excuse he needs to learn Ruby (he
does all C-pound right now), or at least enough to write Cucumber
files.  And another guy grabbed the slides off me so he could get
JRuby set up for a new team to use today!

The new killer app (combo) for Ruby? :o)

> BTW - if you are developing an open source conference organising tool,
> please let me know. I've written two that suck (one in Rails, one as a
> Radiant extension) and I want something good for the next conference I
> organise.

We're doing it specifically for BarCamp Sheffield 2008 (end of
November) at first, but I'd love to expand it.  When's your next
conference likely to be?