[rspec-users] Cucumber: please make "gem install aslakhellesoy-cucumber" or "gem install cucumber" work again

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:50:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Have you tried this?
>>>
>>> export http_proxy=http://yourproxy:yourport
>>> git clone http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
>>>
>>> git checkout SHA-of-the-rev-you-want
>>
>> That'd work if I had git on the windows machine that can actually access the
>> internet.  Unfortunately, I don't, and I won't.  It's pretty tightly locked
>> down.  "firewall" is a bad term, because it implies there's an actual path
>> to the internet.  There isn't, at least not from the place I do actual
>> work.  Have to burn files and copy them.  Virus paranoia and such.
>>
>> ... yes, it's a pain in the ass.
>>

> I hear ya brother, same here, luckily not anymore.
>
> you can do the following (at home):
>
> gem search cucumber --remote --source http://gems.github.com
>
> gem fetch cucumber --source http://gems.github.com
>
> This will put the .gem file in the folder you performed the task for
> you to easily copy to your locked down environment :-D

>>> Absolutely - I'll tag it when there is a release. And push a gem to
>>> RubyForge. But there hasn't been one yet.
>>
>> Ah.  I'd been going on the assumption that the occasional gem version bumps
>> were signifying real checkpoints.  If not, then, I havn't yet been burned by
>> pulling down head once a week or so
>
> Github gems are only updated when the cucumber.gemspec file is updated.

Yes, but only in theory:
http://logicalawesome.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8570-github/tickets/945

Does anyone want Cucumber gems? No? Yes? Anyone? OK I HEARD YOU! :-)

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=797

Just chill till it rsyncs around. Install docs are updated:
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/home

Aslak