[rspec-users] Cucumber: please make "gem install aslakhellesoy-cucumber" or "gem install cucumber" work again

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:03:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, aslak hellesoy
>> > <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>

>> > That gets you whatever the latest is, which is good if you want to live
>> > on
>> > edge.  I'm behind a firewall, and living on edge isn't necessarily a
>> > good
>> > option.
>>
>> Have you tried this?
>>
>> export http_proxy=http://yourproxy:yourport
>> git clone http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
>>
>> git checkout SHA-of-the-rev-you-want
>
> That'd work if I had git on the windows machine that can actually access the
> internet.  Unfortunately, I don't, and I won't.  It's pretty tightly locked
> down.  "firewall" is a bad term, because it implies there's an actual path
> to the internet.  There isn't, at least not from the place I do actual
> work.  Have to burn files and copy them.  Virus paranoia and such.
>
> ... yes, it's a pain in the ass.

I hear ya brother, same here, luckily not anymore.

you can do the following (at home):

gem search cucumber --remote --source http://gems.github.com

gem fetch cucumber --source http://gems.github.com

This will put the .gem file in the folder you performed the task for
you to easily copy to your locked down environment :-D

>> > Would it be too much to ask if you could tag the repo when you jump
>> > to a new release, like David is doing with rspec?
>> >

>> Absolutely - I'll tag it when there is a release. And push a gem to
>> RubyForge. But there hasn't been one yet.
>
> Ah.  I'd been going on the assumption that the occasional gem version bumps
> were signifying real checkpoints.  If not, then, I havn't yet been burned by
> pulling down head once a week or so

Github gems are only updated when the cucumber.gemspec file is updated.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17