[rspec-users] Cucumber: please make "gem install aslakhellesoy-cucumber" or "gem install cucumber" work again

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:53:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, aslak hellesoy
>> > <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>

>> > That gets you whatever the latest is, which is good if you want to live
>> > on
>> > edge.  I'm behind a firewall, and living on edge isn't necessarily a
>> > good
>> > option.
>>
>> Have you tried this?
>>
>> export http_proxy=http://yourproxy:yourport
>> git clone http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
>>
>> git checkout SHA-of-the-rev-you-want
>
> That'd work if I had git on the windows machine that can actually access the
> internet.  Unfortunately, I don't, and I won't.  It's pretty tightly locked
> down.  "firewall" is a bad term, because it implies there's an actual path
> to the internet.  There isn't, at least not from the place I do actual
> work.  Have to burn files and copy them.  Virus paranoia and such.
>
> ... yes, it's a pain in the ass.

I can feel your pain. I have worked for this kind of clients.
Insurance and government. They don't seem to understand how big an
impediment this is. And that people who need to work around this (us)
will do it anyway to get work done. It's just stupid.

>> > Would it be too much to ask if you could tag the repo when you jump
>> > to a new release, like David is doing with rspec?
>> >

>> Absolutely - I'll tag it when there is a release. And push a gem to
>> RubyForge. But there hasn't been one yet.
>
> Ah.  I'd been going on the assumption that the occasional gem version bumps
> were signifying real checkpoints.  If not, then, I havn't yet been burned by
> pulling down head once a week or so

No, actually - it's been me trying to convince the GitHub pixies to
build the gem. To no avail.

Aslak