[rspec-users] Cucumber: please make "gem install aslakhellesoy-cucumber" or "gem install cucumber" work again

Chris Flipse cflipse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:30:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, aslak hellesoy <
> aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> You can do that with git pull and git checkout. Would it help if
> >> detailed instructions were posted to the wiki?
> >
> > That gets you whatever the latest is, which is good if you want to live
> on
> > edge.  I'm behind a firewall, and living on edge isn't necessarily a good
> > option.
>
> Have you tried this?
>
> export http_proxy=http://yourproxy:yourport
> git clone http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
>
> git checkout SHA-of-the-rev-you-want

That'd work if I had git on the windows machine that can actually access the
internet.  Unfortunately, I don't, and I won't.  It's pretty tightly locked
down.  "firewall" is a bad term, because it implies there's an actual path
to the internet.  There isn't, at least not from the place I do actual
work.  Have to burn files and copy them.  Virus paranoia and such.

... yes, it's a pain in the ass.

> > Would it be too much to ask if you could tag the repo when you jump
> > to a new release, like David is doing with rspec?
> >

> Absolutely - I'll tag it when there is a release. And push a gem to
> RubyForge. But there hasn't been one yet.

Ah.  I'd been going on the assumption that the occasional gem version bumps
were signifying real checkpoints.  If not, then, I havn't yet been burned by
pulling down head once a week or so

--
// anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of
// http://blog.devcaffeine.com/