[rspec-users] Cucumber: please make "gem install aslakhellesoy-cucumber" or "gem install cucumber" work again

Chris Flipse cflipse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:11:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Evan David Light
> <lists at tiggerpalace.com> wrote:
> > Subject says most of it.  I'd love to use Cucumber in my project but I
> need
> > to be able to install it in a Rails app and by a particular version
> number.
> >

> You can do that with git pull and git checkout. Would it help if
> detailed instructions were posted to the wiki?

That gets you whatever the latest is, which is good if you want to live on
edge.  I'm behind a firewall, and living on edge isn't necessarily a good
option.  Would it be too much to ask if you could tag the repo when you jump
to a new release, like David is doing with rspec?

Github lets you download a snapshot of the repo by tags, and I just build
the gems from that, and toss them up into a behind-the-firewall gem server,
and let everyone gem install from there.  It's a bit harder with cucumber,
because I'm not sure where the "released, stable" point is ...

> > I forked it and struggled with getting GitHub gems deployer to behave
> > itself.
> >
> > Maybe a "canonical" version can be kept and updated in RubyForge
> > occasionally because of occasional gem problems with GitHub?
> >

> Yes, I'll probably do that soon. GitHub fails to build the gem every
> time for me (not occasionally).
> http://logicalawesome.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8570-github/tickets/945
>
> Aslak
>
> > Evan

// anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of
// http://blog.devcaffeine.com/