[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Nov 28 18:50:51 EST 2008

aslak hellesoy wrote:

>> "Worthy of note is that, inside the step files, one must enclose the
>> arguments to the *Given/When/Then/And* methods with a string delimiter":
>
> This is only a convention to make it easier to know what's a variable
> when reading/editing a feature. It is absolutely not a must.

It is a must inside step files:

When /determine the party "(.*)"/ do |n|
  When obtain the party n
end

results in

    And I determine the party "corporate form"              #
features/entities/
step_definitions/entity_steps.rb:56
      undefined method `party' for
#<ActionController::Integration::Session:0x7e
e6c3b8> (NoMethodError)

While

When /determine the party "(.*)"/ do |n|
  When "obtain the party \"#{n}\""
end

passes.

  Scenario: Record Entity basic identification information  #
features/entities/
entity.feature:17

    And I determine the party "corporate form"              #
features/entities/
step_definitions/entity_steps.rb:56
    Then I should save the party information                #
features/entities/
step_definitions/entity_steps.rb:60