[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:33:15 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:48 PM, James Byrne <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Ben Mabey wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if that last remark came across a little snide.  What I meant to
> > say was that the wiki is a community effort and it would be great if you
> > could improve it with your insight and point of view.
> >
> > The wiki instructions probably do suffer from what you described because
> > most of the wiki has been written by people who have been involved in
> > cucumber/rspec story runner from the beginning (or who are familiar with
> > the code base.)  So our instructions may not be as helpful to newcomers
> > as we had hoped.  Since you are coming from a different perspective it
> > would be extremely helpful for your insights to be added to the wiki to
> > help other people who are beginning and will probably have the same
> > questions you have had.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
> How is this?
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/cucumber-backgrounder

I think that's a great introduction to Cucumber. I also think it's a bit
long. There are a few paragraphs that I don't think provide useful or
relevant information, or that repeat information found elsewhere on the
wiki. My comments in order:

1) Where to start
The first <pre> box and the following paragraph can be skipped.

2) Where do I put Tests?
First - I don't like calling them tests. Let's call them features and rather
explain on the top that in Cucumber we caqll tests features.

3) How do I Write Tests?
Is the explanation of the Given/When etc methods really necessary? The alias
comment is wrong - the implementations are different.
We use the term "step definition" for regexp+block on the other pages (not
step matcher).

"Worthy of note is that, inside the step files, one must enclose the
arguments to the *Given/When/Then/And* methods with a string delimiter":
This is only a convention to make it easier to know what's a variable when
reading/editing a feature. It is absolutely not a must.

4) What way do I run the tests?
This has a separate page already. It's better if you edit this with
additional info and link to it from your page.

5) Anything else?
The last code snippet is not needed. It's already at the top of
webrat_steps.rb (added recently).

It would be great if you could remove redundant info and link instead -
expand other existing pages where there is missing info. And all in all -
very good stuff. Thanks!

BTW - has anyone seen all the cool tools that are cropping up around
Cucumber? http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/related-tools