[rspec-users] Performance Questions (Was: class << self considered harmful... really?)

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Fri Nov 28 16:28:55 EST 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 11:52 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Mark Wilden <mark at mwilden.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Brian Takita
>> <brian.takita at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if this is a discussion about taste.
>> I think you're right. I've been using the 'def self.foo' style in
>> various
>> languages for almost 20 years, so of course it feels more natural
>> to me.
>> These languages (except for Smalltalk) had nowhere near the
>> metaprogramming
>> capability nor 'objects all the way down'-ness of Ruby, and 'class
>> << self'
>> is one of those things.
>> ///ark
> FWIW, the blog that led to this discussion suggested a performance
> impact as well. As RSpec has gotten dinged for being slower than
> alternatives, that interested me, so I did a little experiment def'ing
> methods 10k times with def self.method and class << self; def method

I'd be curious to see those benchmarks.

Also - re: performance: I've always wondered why RSpec (and other
ruby projects, for that matter) aren't using Kernel#autoload instead
of Kernel#require.   If we used autoload, we wouldn't have to load
the code for, say, a matcher which is never used in a project.