[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Nov 27 12:39:26 EST 2008

James Byrne wrote:

> The error is that there exists no entity with id=1.  Ideas?

I have resolved all of the test result differences between running
cucumber features -r features, rake features, and autotest.  These were
dependent on whether testunit tests and their associated fixtures were
invoked immediately prior to cucumber or not.

The fix to the last failing test was to eliminate the literal id=1 in
the view test and use this construct instead:

Given /I am on the edit entity page/ do
  @party = Entity.first
  visits "/entities/#{@party.id}/edit"
end

Now, I still have a number of issues with respect to configuring
autotest to work with cucumber.  If I have nothing in my cucumber.yml
file then I see this:

script/cucumber features --format progress --format autotest --out
/tmp/autotest-cucumber.7817.0
FFF____F__F__F__F__F_P_F_P_FP_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_

If I change cucumber.yml, while autotest is running, to this:

autotest: features -r features

Then I see this:

script/cucumber --profile autotest --format autotest --out
/tmp/autotest-cucumber.7817.1 -s 'No locations should exist' -s 'Test if
Fixtures are loaded first' -s 'Record Entity basic identification
information' -s 'The "common name" attribute should be normalized before
saving' -s 'Delete entity' -s 'Attempt to ADD a VALID entity via a web
form' -s 'Attempt to ADD an EMPTY entity via a web form' -s 'Attempt to
ADD an UNNAMED entity via a web form' -s 'The common name should display
with initial capitals'
Feature: Identify and record the location of parties to transactions

followed by a complete rerun of the entire test suite including
testunit.  However, I do not see this:

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

at the top of the test run before displaying the steps and tracebacks on
the console. Which, I admit, does not say much but I would like to know
how to get it nonetheless.  Adding --format progress by itself seems to
just provide a string of dots ............................ etc.

I would also like to know how to see both the progress bar and the
pretty format console display of the tests.  If I add --format pretty
after --format progress then the dots are interspersed with the step
results.  Like so:

.    And I am on the edit entity page
# features/entities/step_definitions/entity_steps.rb:125
.    When I fill in "Common Name" with "  ANYThing   WronG wITh tHiS? "
# features/step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:12
.    And I commit the update

Note the leading '.' which prefaces each passing line.

Finally, my custom notice command for autotest seems not to get called
when running cucumber although it works perfectly well with the TestUnit
tests.

  Autotest.add_hook :red do |at|
    notify ERROR_STOCK_ICON, "Failing Tests", "#{at.files_to_test.size}
tests failed."
  end

Suggestions welcome.