[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Thu Nov 27 11:27:33 EST 2008

James Byrne wrote:
> Ben Mabey wrote:
>> As the cucumber wiki page says about autotest
>> (http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/autotest-integration) if
>> you want to override the arguments used by autotest you need to define
>> an 'autotest' profile in your cucumber.yml file.  I added information
>> about profiles here:
>> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/running-features.
> I suggest that, as helpful as this is, it might be much improved if you
> could discuss the default behaviour of cucumber with an empty
> cucumber.yml and what this equates to with the options explicitly set.
> Following illumination of this point then describe what one might like
> to alter together with the reasons why and show the setting for that.

For the default behavior type "cucumber --help".  The first flag reads:
"    -r, --require LIBRARY|DIR        Require files before executing the
                                     If this option is not specified,
all *.rb files that
                                     are siblings or below the features
will be autorequired
                                     This option can be specified
multiple times.

So.. the autorequiring of the ruby files next to the passed in
feature(s) to be ran is the default behaviour.

> I have found that when approaching a new technology, instructions and
> examples are ofttimes needlessly opaque simply because there is no
> mapping provided between out-of-the-box behaviour and the available
> alternatives. Once one is familiar with the tool such things are
> obvious, which no doubt is why they are so often omitted form
> discussion.  But to people just beginning to explore a new environment
> such examples are extremely helpful.

Great idea!  Someone should probably add that to the wiki...