[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Thu Nov 27 11:27:33 EST 2008

James Byrne wrote:
> Ben Mabey wrote:
>

>> As the cucumber wiki page says about autotest
>> (http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/autotest-integration) if
>> you want to override the arguments used by autotest you need to define
>> an 'autotest' profile in your cucumber.yml file.  I added information
>> about profiles here:
>> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/running-features.
>>

> I suggest that, as helpful as this is, it might be much improved if you
> could discuss the default behaviour of cucumber with an empty
> cucumber.yml and what this equates to with the options explicitly set.
> Following illumination of this point then describe what one might like
> to alter together with the reasons why and show the setting for that.

For the default behavior type "cucumber --help".  The first flag reads:
"    -r, --require LIBRARY|DIR        Require files before executing the
features.
                                     If this option is not specified,
all *.rb files that
                                     are siblings or below the features
will be autorequired
                                     This option can be specified
multiple times.
"

So.. the autorequiring of the ruby files next to the passed in
feature(s) to be ran is the default behaviour.

> I have found that when approaching a new technology, instructions and
> examples are ofttimes needlessly opaque simply because there is no
> mapping provided between out-of-the-box behaviour and the available
> alternatives. Once one is familiar with the tool such things are
> obvious, which no doubt is why they are so often omitted form
> discussion.  But to people just beginning to explore a new environment
> such examples are extremely helpful.

Great idea!  Someone should probably add that to the wiki...

-Ben