[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Nov 27 10:36:18 EST 2008

Ben Mabey wrote:

> As the cucumber wiki page says about autotest
> (http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/autotest-integration) if
> you want to override the arguments used by autotest you need to define
> an 'autotest' profile in your cucumber.yml file.  I added information
> about profiles here:
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/running-features.

I suggest that, as helpful as this is, it might be much improved if you
could discuss the default behaviour of cucumber with an empty
cucumber.yml and what this equates to with the options explicitly set.
Following illumination of this point then describe what one might like
to alter together with the reasons why and show the setting for that.

I have found that when approaching a new technology, instructions and
examples are ofttimes needlessly opaque simply because there is no
mapping provided between out-of-the-box behaviour and the available
alternatives. Once one is familiar with the tool such things are
obvious, which no doubt is why they are so often omitted form
discussion.  But to people just beginning to explore a new environment
such examples are extremely helpful.