[rspec-users] Variance in behaviour: rake features vs. autotest

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Wed Nov 26 20:37:32 EST 2008

James Byrne wrote:

>>> $ autotest
>>> script/cucumber features --format progress --format autotest --out
>>> /tmp/autotest-cucumber.1527.0
>>> FFF____F__F__F__F__F_P_F_P_FP_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_F_P_P_
>>>

>> On closer inspection, this looks very much like the problem that I have
>> with running cucumber from the cli.
>>

> But while $ cucumber features -r features corrects the cli problem I do
> not know how to incorporate this knowledge into the autotest setup.  Any
> ideas?

James,
As the cucumber wiki page says about autotest
(http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/autotest-integration) if
you want to override the arguments used by autotest you need to define
an 'autotest' profile in your cucumber.yml file.  I added information
about profiles here:
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/running-features.

So, in your case you would simply need to create a cucumber.yml file at
the root of your project with this as the contents:

default: -r features
autotest: -r features

(I added the default so that when you use the cli it will automatically
use those args too.)

To answer your original question, you must specify the requiring of the
features dir because cucumber, by default, only loads the ruby files in
the feature's dir and children dirs.  So when you have a feature that is
in a subdirectory of your main features dir you have to explicitly
require the ruby files under features.  Make sense?

-Ben