[rspec-users] could one scenario depend on another in cucumber?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Nov 26 03:18:29 EST 2008

On 26 Nov 2008, at 03:27, Newman Huang wrote:

> I think it is a common test case you would meet. For example, you want
> to test a user registry scenario. You write:
>
> Scenario: User Registry
>   When I dosth
>   Then I dosth
>
> And now business has some changes. Register should have to activate
> his
> account by a secret code sent by mobile phone. So you need to write
> the
> other scenario:
>
> Scenario: User Registry and Account Activation By Mobile
>   When I dosth
>   Then I dosth
>   #above is the samed as User Registry scenario
>
>   Then I visit "my setting" page
>   And I fill in "activate code" with "code"
>
> Because the second scenario is based on the first one, cucumber can do
> the things like:
>
> Scenario: User Registry and Account Activation By Mobile
>   depend on [Scenario: User Registry]
>
> ??
>
> If you use ant to write build file, or rake task, dependency is
> supported. So cucumber also can do it, right?

You need the feature known as 'Call Steps From Steps':
http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/3-create-givenscenario-dependency-accross-feature-files

This basically allows you to make a magic step which calls in some or
all of the steps from the other scenario.

Also, perhaps I might humbly recommend my blog post about the subject:
http://blog.mattwynne.net/2008/11/14/dry-up-your-cucumber-steps/

Hope that helps,
Matt