[rspec-users] Cucumber Problems with setup selenium/webrat + languages

Alberto Perdomo alberto.perdomo at aentos.es
Tue Nov 25 07:23:11 EST 2008

Hi all,

i've gotten started with cucumber thanks to Fernando and Raimond who
gave a brilliant talk about cucumber at the Conferencia Rails in
Madrid a few weeks ago. Congratulations again guys!

Thanks also to Joseph Wilk who helped me out on IRC getting selenium
up and running!

Well, since then i got started using cucumber, first with webrat and
then i tried it out with selenium. Now i am trying to have a parallel
setup like this:

features/features_plain/*.features
features/features_plain/step_definitions/*.rb
features/features_plain/support/env.rb (require webrat here)

features/features_with_ajax/*.features
features/features_with_ajax/step_definitions/*.rb
features/features_with_ajax/support/env.rb (require selenium here)

My profiles look like this:
webrat: --language es features/features_plain
selenium: --language es features/features_with_ajax

So now it almost seems to work. My problem is the spanish keywords are
recognized inside the features but not inside the steps. So if i
change "Cuando" for "When" inside a step then it works, etc.

Obviously my target is to write the features and step_definitions in
the same language, consistently throughout a project, depending on the
language spoken by the client.

Also, i am looking into a way of sharing common step_definitions,
maybe inside a folder features/common_step_definitions and maybe
require it in both profiles?

Any hints and suggestions very appreciated!

Cucumber is awesome! Keep rocking!
Alberto.