[rspec-users] Spec'ing via features

Shane Mingins smingins at elctech.com
Mon Nov 24 16:33:44 EST 2008

On 25/11/2008, at 7:29 AM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> Lately I've been putting more and more stuff into ATs.  I'm finding it
> valuable to keep tests for domain logic separate from plain ol unit
> tests...meaning that my Account object may be tested mostly with
> Cucumber, but helper objects such as a stats aggregator will be spec'd
> with code-level examples.
>
> Pat

Just wondering a bit on this ... the bit about your Account object
being tested mostly through Cucumber vs unit tests.

In my mind (as I think about this) cucumber is more about testing than
rspec is, meaning Acceptance Tests are more about testing where unit
tests when using TDD is more about design than testing.  Do I make
sense?  Email is not the best medium for conversations :- )

Now from what I have read of your writings I am assuming that you are
using TDD .... and so just from what I read above I am wondering if
that statement is true because TDD is driving the implementation of
Account, and so you will have a 100% coverage of the Account class
behaviour, but when it comes to testing, the AT is doing more of that
(meaning testing).  Is that it?   IIRC, in Kent Beck's TDD book there
is the example of TDD'ing a triangle (or something), but it was
something that showed that to TDD the triangle you ended up with less
tests than if you were testing the triangle.

How's that sound?

Cheers
Shane