[rspec-users] Spec'ing via features

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Mon Nov 24 16:32:19 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my hypothetical example, the
> specification is what to do when someone withdraws more than they have
> in their account.  Then when you write scenarios, the simplest thing you
> can do to show that is the edge case itself, which is in fact valuable.
> $1 over is (probably) the same as $100 over, and I think that $100
> raises more questions than it answers.  Why is it $100?  Is there some
> business rule that charges a penalty if they go $100 over the limit, but
> not less?

I was addressing the general idea of presenting what we call "edge cases" to
business users. Put it this way: if edge cases were necessary in general,
then in addition to the scenario with $1, we'd need one with $0.01 and one
with $0.

But to respectfully agree with you, if the edge case is actually a business
edge case and not just a test for, e.g., an off-by-one error, then I'll go
along with Zach and you and say that $1 is a good scenario.

///ark