[rspec-users] Spec'ing via features

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Mon Nov 24 14:18:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree with the part about edge cases.  Acceptance Tests are about
> defining and verifying business value, and edge cases are supremely
> valuable to businesses.  What happens when an ATM user tries to withdraw
> $1 more than he has available in his account?

Withdrawing $1 more than available is an edge case, vulnerable to an
off-by-one error, and doesn't need to be shown to business, in my opinion.
Testing that is a means of detecting errors - it's not a specification.

What happens when an ATM user tries to withdraw $100 more than available is
not an edge case, and should be shown to business.

I realize it's a fine point - I'm just responding to whether the business
needs to see what we call "edge cases."

///ark