[rspec-users] Spec'ing via features

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Mon Nov 24 13:43:35 EST 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 18:29, Pat Maddox wrote:

> Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> writes:
>
>> On 21 Nov 2008, at 18:15, James Byrne wrote:
>>
>>> As I work with Rails TestUnit tests I am reconsidering how to use
>>> cucumber features.  It seems to me that it might be best to have a
>>> coherent view of how to arrange my test suites before I get much
>>> further
>>> into this.  Now, so far I have considered three possibilities:
>>>
>>> 1. Use features exclusively. Create a feature file for each model,
>>> one
>>> for each controller and possibly an additional one for those views
>>> that
>>> need separate tests.  Name then with the nomenclature
>>> x_model.feature,
>>> x_model_controller.feature and where desired, x_view.feature
>>>
>>> 2. Use features exclusively. Create one feature file for each
>>> non-decomposable piece of system functionality.  Test models,
>>> controllers and views within each feature file.
>>>
>>> 3. Use features and RSpec.  Well, is that not what I am doing with
>>> features alone?  Or, are their cases when testing with RSpec spec
>>> files
>>> are a better choice than a features scenario?
>>>
>>> 4. Use features and TestUnit. Naaahhh...
>>>
>>> 5. Some other way of which I have not considered.
>>>
>>> In the interest of enlightenment and from a desire to avoid
>>> unnecessary
>>> back tracking as my project develops, what do experienced
>>> practitioners
>>> suggest as the favoured way of arranging test suites.
>>>
>>> Yes, I have done the goggle thing but I really have not found
>>> anything
>>> terribly useful about organizing tests specifically for Rails.
>>
>> No doubt it's (3) for me. It's all about working from the outside in.
>
> Agreed.
>

>> Cucumber is for Acceptance Testing, and those acceptance tests should
>> not be cluttered up with edge cases. They should ideally be readable
>> by your stakeholders / customers.
>
> I disagree with the part about edge cases.  Acceptance Tests are about
> defining and verifying business value, and edge cases are supremely
> valuable to businesses.  What happens when an ATM user tries to
> withdraw
> $1 more than he has available in his account?

> Lately I've been putting more and more stuff into ATs.  I'm finding it
> valuable to keep tests for domain logic separate from plain ol unit
> tests...meaning that my Account object may be tested mostly with
> Cucumber, but helper objects such as a stats aggregator will be spec'd
> with code-level examples.

Yep. Agreed, you put it better than I could.

I am freaking people out at work because I seem to have practically
stopped writing unit tests, but I'm still certain that I don't lift a
finger without some automated test to force me into it. I'm just
finding that ATs give me a much bigger lever in terms of how much code
they drive out with a single test.

I have a feeling that people who've developed with FIT / JUnit must
have been through this loop before. Any war stories out there?

cheers,
Matt