[rspec-users] cucumber question - uninitialized constant creating object in model

Joseph Wilk josephwilk at joesniff.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 10:54:29 EST 2008

Tim Walker wrote:
> Sorry if this is a really basic question. Scanned the past several
> months archives, didn't see it.
> When I am running "cucumber features"
> I get the error:
>  "uninitialized constant Thing (NameError)"
> With step code being executed as...
> Given /^a thing consisting of "L1" $/ do
>    Thing.new
> end
> I understand that this probably a basic question but it's like
> cucumber isn't loading my rails environment.
> Many thanks in advance.
Sounds like your env.rb file is either not being required or it does not
contain the rails require.

If you have a env.rb check it requires rails
# Sets up the Rails environment for Cucumber
ENV["RAILS_ENV"] = "test"
require File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +

Also make sure when you run the cucumber command that it either
automatically (it will include siblings or below) or explicitly though a
--require includes your env.rb

Joseph Wilk