[rspec-users] Backtrace for passing specs via custom formatter

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:58:54 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Andreas Wolff <rubyphunk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using example.implementation_backtrace in a custom formatter to
> get the path of the file a passing spec belongs to. Following rspec on
> github I saw that implementation_backtrace is now deprecated and
> replaced by example.backtrace. Sadly it always returns nil for passed
> specs. So I had a look at the source and found that backtrace only
> gets assigned if line_number was set.
>
> Can anybody tell me why this was changed to only work with line_number
> set and if there is another way to get the file a spec belongs to.

Hey Andreas,

I asked for that in the context of another refactoring in the interest
of efficiency. I though that it was only being used for --line.

I've just pushed code back up that removes this errant optimization so
you should be good - however, you should use #backtrace instead of
#implementation_backtrace.

Good?

David