[rspec-users] Spec'ing via features

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Nov 21 13:15:57 EST 2008

As I work with Rails TestUnit tests I am reconsidering how to use
cucumber features.  It seems to me that it might be best to have a
coherent view of how to arrange my test suites before I get much further
into this.  Now, so far I have considered three possibilities:

1. Use features exclusively. Create a feature file for each model, one
for each controller and possibly an additional one for those views that
need separate tests.  Name then with the nomenclature x_model.feature,
x_model_controller.feature and where desired, x_view.feature

2. Use features exclusively. Create one feature file for each
non-decomposable piece of system functionality.  Test models,
controllers and views within each feature file.

3. Use features and RSpec.  Well, is that not what I am doing with
features alone?  Or, are their cases when testing with RSpec spec files
are a better choice than a features scenario?

4. Use features and TestUnit. Naaahhh...

5. Some other way of which I have not considered.

In the interest of enlightenment and from a desire to avoid unnecessary
back tracking as my project develops, what do experienced practitioners
suggest as the favoured way of arranging test suites.

Yes, I have done the goggle thing but I really have not found anything
terribly useful about organizing tests specifically for Rails.