[rspec-users] Missing method implementation_backtrace

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 22:52:41 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM, rubyphunk <rubyphunk at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> same problem here. I always used "example.implementation_backtrace" in
>> a custom formatter to find out to which spec file a passing example
>> belongs to.
>> Is there another way to get the file path?
>
> Looking through the code I see the name was changed to
> example_backtrace, and I can see why it was changed to that. In fact,
> looking closer I really think it should just be backtrace.
>
> I'm going to change it to #backtrace, rdoc it up to formalize its
> place in the world as an API method, and, in the interest of playing
> nice w/ NetBeans, reinstate a deprecated implementation_backtrace that
> delegates to backtrace.
>
> Rubyphunk, what you can do in the short run is alias
> implementation_backtrace, example_backtrace, but you'll have to change
> that for the next release. Sorry about the churn, but this was really
> not a formally public method to begin with. Now we will make it so.

Actually - I see that this change from implementation_backtrace to
example_backtrace was after the 1.1.11 release (the OP said this was
upgrading to 1.1.11, but it must have been upgrading to the current
code in git).

I'm still going to go ahead w/ this plan (rename to backtrace and
reinstate a deprecated implementation_backtrace before the next
release), but I just want to alleviate concern of anybody who might be
concerned that the current release doesn't play nice w/ NetBeans (at
least for this reason)

Cheers,
David