[rspec-users] Missing method implementation_backtrace

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:35:06 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Ben Fyvie <ben.fyvie at champsoftware.com> wrote:
> We just upgraded from rspec version 1.1.4 to rspec version 1.1.11 and found
> that this no longer exists:
>

> # File lib/spec/example/example_methods.rb, line 84
>
>       def implementation_backtrace
>
>         eval("caller", @_implementation)
>
>       end
>

> I don't really know what this method is for and don't really care that it is
> gone; however, Netbeans 6.5 does care that it is gone and is not able to run
> tests without it.  As a temporary band-aid I have added the method back
> locally.  I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to why the method
> was removed?

Unfortunately we don't yet have a formal API for tool vendors to use,
so NetBeans apparently used a method that we view as internal and it
got moved or renamed during a refactoring.

This is something we plan to address over the coming months:
formalizing an API for extension and tool use.

FWIW,
David