[rspec-users] specifying which button webrat should press

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 02:06:59 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Pau Cor <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> aslak hellesoy wrote:
>> give buttons unique dom ids and pass the id to #clicks_button ?
>
> Of course that's the easy way to do it  :)
>
> I was hoping to keep my stories a bit closer to English. Plus then I'd
> need some extra instance variable so that step can calculate the dom_id.
> Here is an example of what I'm going for:
>
>  Scenario: Accepting a friend request
>    Given there is a user named "Fred"
>    And I am logged in as a normal user named "Joe"
>    And there is an unaccepted invite from "Fred" to me
>    And there is a user named "Sally"
>    And there is an unaccepted invite from "Sally" to me
>    When I go to "the invites from friends page"
>    And I push "accept" near "Fred"
>    # I want to avoid: And I push #accept_button_user_1

You're on the right track, and I don't think Aslak was recommending
putting accept_button_user_1 in the step.

What you can do is put it in the step definition, and use some sort of map.

For example, I usually have a map of page names to paths so I can say:

  When I visit the new pet form

which is implemented like this:

  When /I visit the (.*)/ do |page|
    visit case page
    when "new pet form"
      new_pet_path

So you can do a similar mapping with Fred. Maybe it works like this
(just guessing - don't know what your app looks like)

  When /I push "(.)" near "(.*)" do |what, who|
    user = User.find_by_first_name(who)
    clicks_button "#{what}_button_user_#{user.id}"
  end

As long as you keep this sort of thing simple, I find it very
manageable and it actually begins to encourage good APIs and
conventions in the app.

>    Then I should see "Now you are friends with Fred"
>    When I push "ignore" near "Sally"
>    Then I should see "Sally won't ever bother you again"
>

> Or maybe you are suggesting:
>
>  Scenario: Accepting a friend request
>    Given there is a user named "Fred"
>    And I am logged in as a normal user named "Joe"
>    And there is an unaccepted invite from "Fred" to me
>    And there is a user named "Sally"
>    And there is an unaccepted invite from "Sally" to me

I might do something to eliminate the need for the previous statement:

  Given /there is an unaccepted invite from "(.*)" to me/ do |username|
    user = User.find_or_create_by_first_name(username)
    # whatever you need to create the invite
  end

Now these first lines can be reduced to:

  Given I am logged in as a normal user named "Joe"
  And there is an unaccepted invite from "Fred" to me
  And there is an unaccepted invite from "Sally" to me

That's a lot less noise, and there is a clear implication that Fred
and Sally exist.

WDYT?

David