[rspec-users] Cucumber autotest load error between 0.1.8 and 0.1.9

Harry Love harry at harrylove.org
Mon Nov 17 22:19:42 EST 2008

I'm new to the list and to Cucumber (and RSpec and testing in general)
so I apologize if this has already come up. I searched the archive and
didn't see anything.

Last week I installed Cucumber 0.1.8 for my Rails app and both
'cucumber features' and 'rake features' worked fine. Features and
steps were evaluated.

Today I upgraded Cucumber to 0.1.9 and tried to set up autotest. It didn't work.

Long story short, I installed the gems but didn't put them in my
vendor/plugins directory (by choice). In 0.1.8, script/cucumber was
only looking in vendor/plugins. In 0.1.9, there's a LoadError
exception rescue that defaults to the local gem if it can't be found
in vendor/plugins.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
load File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
  load File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +
rescue LoadError
  require "rubygems"
  load File.join(Gem.bindir, "cucumber")

I hope that helps somebody else.