[rspec-users] How to spec a (Trollop-based) binary’s internal state?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Fri Nov 14 15:56:48 EST 2008

Ashley Moran:

> On Nov 07, 2008, at 5:24 pm, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>> Right, that’s why I suggested I could Kernel#eval the binary’s contents
>> in the current process instead. This would require tricking Trollop, but
>> I assume I could trick it by hand-crafting ARGV.

> You might find Rick Bradley's talk[1] on regression testing flog
> useful here. He starts by speccing the binary at a Ruby level.

Heh – I brought exactly this talk up twice when talking about specing
binaries here (it was what pointed me in the direction that it would
be actually good to spec/test them, actually). :)

> Note, however, that later in the talk he admits he made a mistake in
> not writing end-to-end tests soon enough. I think he should have run
> the binary as a black box and just pushed binary code into lib sooner.

Right. I think I agree that’s the best
(and most elegant) way to test binaries.

In my case, asfter some specing and some coding, it turns out I can’t
really do this the way I wanted; most of the cases I need to test for
are triggered with input that makes the binary run a long time (it’s
the code behind my PhD thesis, so tons of computations). As I’m testing
a black box with Kernel#`, I can’t mock/stub anything out.

Seeing as my binary grew to over 80 lines, I guess my best bet is to
pull out the gist of it into a separate Runner class, spec it (with
mocks/stubs/fixtures) so it runs in a sane time and then only create
a think binary wrapper around it (which will basically parse the
options, set the config and then run the runner).

Thanks a lot for the nice Cucumber example! It was most informative.

-- Shot
--
As the Slashdot distributed brain engine has observed, the ultimate test of
any piece of equipment is to build a Beowulf cluster of it.   -- Peter Seebach