[rspec-users] Learning Cucumber

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Nov 13 11:51:27 EST 2008

Here is the scenario:

  Scenario: Create a new entity row
    Given I am on the new entity page
    When I fill in a textbox labelled "Common Name" with "My New Entity"
    And I fill in a textbox labelled "Full Legal Name:" with "My New
Enitity is a CORP"
    And I select from a listbox labelled "Legal Form:" the value "CORP"
    And I press "Create"
    Then I should see "Entity was successfully created."

Now, the suggestions that cucumber makes about missing step definitions
are very useful, but I am not yet at the point where I understand enough
of this to proceed. For the moment I need to sort out the relationship of
cucumber with webrat.

In the case above, what I see when I run rake features is this:

Scenario: Create a new entity row   # features/manage_entities.feature:7
  Given I am on the new entity page # features/steps/entity_steps.rb:1
  When I fill in a textbox labelled \
    "Common Name" with "My New Entity" # features/steps/entity_steps.rb:5
    And I fill in a textbox labelled \
      "Full Legal Name:" with "My New Enitity is a CORP"  \
      # features/steps/entity_steps.rb:8
    And I select from a listbox labelled \
      "Legal Form:" the value "CORP"  # features/steps/entity_steps.rb:11
    And I press "Create"              # features/steps/common_webrat.rb:4
  Then I should see \
    "Entity was successfully created." # features/steps/common_webrat.rb:36

expected: /Entity was successfully created./m,
           got: "<!-- application.html.erb -->\r\n<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \

So, evidently I need some other specification to check the validity of the
action with respect to the web page displayed.  Can some one give me a
hint as to what "I should see "X" should actually say?  Should this be a
regex?  In other worlds should the outcome be specified as:

   Then I should see "*Entity was successfully created*"

Unfortunately, I have many, many more questions, but I will try to feed
them in slowly.

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3