[rspec-users] Correct way to spec partials

Jesse Clark jesse at jesseclark.com
Wed Nov 12 13:01:58 EST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2008, at 00:51, Jesse Clark wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 4:49 am, "David Chelimsky" <dchelim... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are basically three options (from most granular to most
>>> coarse):
>>>
>>> 1. view examples rendering the partial directly
>>> 2. view examples rendering a template that includes the partial
>>> 3. controller examples with integrate_views
>>>
>>> In practice, I don't think I ever go for #3, and the choice
>>> between #1
>>> and #2 is largely context-dependent. In the end you want to (or
>>> rather, I want you to ;) ) be equally comfortable with all three
>>> approaches, understand the pros and cons of each, and make a
>>> decision
>>> on a case by case basis.
>>
>> Where can I find more information about how various contexts affect
>> the choice between #1 and #2?
>>
>> I have a partial that is shared by two view templates and I only want
>> to test the partial once. So I created a new spec file with a
>> describe
>> block for the partial. The partial is passed some locals and I would
>> like to test in my examples that these local variables are displayed
>> as expected. How would I go about setting these in the example so
>> they
>> are available to the partial when it renders?
>
> What you can do is call the template from the example and set up a
> stub for each of the locals. So if I have a partial like this:
>
>    <%= name %> makes cheese for <%= friend_name %>
>
> Then in the example, you can do this:
>
>    describe "when there's a name and a friend name"
>        before(:each) do
> 	    template.stub!(:name).and_return("Mike")
>            template.stub!(:friend_name).and_return("Susan")
>        end
>    end
>
> Make sense?

Yep. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

> In order to keep your view specs from becoming too brittle, I would
> strongly suggest that you 'stub out' the rendering of the shared
> partial in the specs for the two view templates that use the
> partial. I usually do this by making a special helper method for
> rendering the partial:
>
>   <%= for relationship in relationships %>
>       <%= render_relationship(relationship) %>
>   <% end %>
>
> This makes is easy to stub out the rendering in your main view
> templates' specs:
>
>    before(:each) do
>        template.stub!(:render_relationship)
>    end
>
> Of course you'll really want a Cucumber test that makes sure the
> whole stack fits together (locals are passed through with the
> correct names) but I'd suggest that's a much more flexible solution
> than tying your view specs together.

I am stubbing out the rendering of the partial in the other view
specs. Although, I am just using: 'template.stub!(:render)' in
expectations describing other portions of the view and then I have an
expectation that uses 'should_receive' to make sure the partial is
getting called with the expected locals values.

Learning how to use Cucumber is on my list of things to do...