[rspec-users] Cucumber feature checking sort order of list

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Wed Nov 12 12:43:47 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:

> How about something more like
>
>    Given there are two items in a list: "Zulu and Abba"
>    And I have sorted the list alphabetically
>    Then "Abba" should appear before "Zulu"
>
> Then /"(.*)" should appear before "(.*)"/ do |first_example,
> second_example|
>    response.body.should =~ /#{first_example}.*#{second_example}/
> end

The trouble with that is that you still have a 50-50 chance that your code
is broken. :) Testing sorting is always problematic. Given a particular data
set, other factors may be producing the "right" order (sorting on a
different attribute, randomization). I usually use three items, and realize
that it's not definitive.

///ark