[rspec-users] Cucumber Scaffolds

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Nov 12 11:17:38 EST 2008

I have installed all of the various bit and pieces for rspec and cucumber
and have used:

script/generate feature Frooble name color description

To create a dummy feature and related steps.  Now, while I have been
poking at Ruby, Rails, RSpec and Stories for a long time, I have never
really grasped much of what I have been exposed to.  Therefore, I crave
your indulgence for the next little while as I buckle down to master this
stuff.  My questions over the next little while will likely be novice
level.

Taking the frooble skeleton I have reworked it to this:

#manage_entities.feature

Feature: Manage entities
  In order to keep track of entities
  A entity maintainer
  Should be able to manage entities
  To Protect Revenue

  Scenario: Register a new entity
    Given I am on the new entity page
    When I fill in "entity_name" with "My New Entity"
    And I fill in "entity_legal_name" with "My New Enitity is a CORP"
    And I fill in "entity_legal_form" with "CORP"
    And I press "Create"
    Then I should see "My New Entity"
    And I should see "My New Enitity is a CORP"
    And I should see "CORP"

And

#steps/entity_steps.rb

Given /I am on the new entity page/ do
  visits "/entities/new"

When I run # rake features I see this:

Feature: Manage entities  # features/manage_entities.feature
  In order to keep track of entities
  A entity maintainer
  Should be able to manage multiple entities
  To Protect Revenue
  Scenario: Register a new entity                                      #
features/manage_entities.feature:7
    Given I am on the new entity page                                  #
features/steps/entity_steps.rb:1
      undefined method `visits' for
#<ActionController::Integration::Session:0xb7202094> (NoMethodError)

Now, "visits" is an action predefined in the step file, and one that I
presume is connected somehow to webrat (installed), which means to me that
I should not have to define it myself.  Therefore my questions are: Is
there some manual configuration I am required to do to wire this up
correctly or am I missing the boat on this altogether?  If there are
additional set-up steps that I must perform then where to I discover them?

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3