[rspec-users] Installing rspec, cucumber, et al.

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:44:53 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, November 11, 2008 15:05, David Chelimsky wrote:
>

>> You must have installed rspec during the short time we were using
>> git-submodules.
>>
>> You'll want to remove them and reinstall as plugins (or as gems).
>> Here's some info on un-doing git-submodules:
>>

> Removing git submodules is well-practised art for me, much to my
> embarassment.  However, I would like the present situation with respect to
> rspec and rspec-rails clarified for me.  I seem to recall that at some
> point one had to have rspec installed as a plugin if one intended to use
> rspec-rails, which also had to be installed as a plugin.  Has this
> situation been altered, are gems alone now sufficient?

Your options are:

system gems
vendor/gems
vendor/plugins

The rspec-rails gem has a hard dependency on the rspec gem of the same
version, so if you install rspec-rails-1.1.11.gem with dependencies,
it will install rspec-1.1.11.gem as well.

There have been reports of problems with system gems, so right now it
seems the safest way is to use vendor/gems or vendor/pugins.

HTH,
David