[rspec-users] Installing rspec, cucumber, et al.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Nov 11 10:20:47 EST 2008

I have a project that I am returning to after some time away on other
issues.  When last I worked on it I had rspec and rspec for rails
installed as git submodules but I recall that I also had to have rspec
installed as a gem and that the gem and the plugin versions had to exactly
match.  Having read a little about cucumber I went tot he cucumber site
and read this:

If you use Git for your Rails app, add the following plugins:

git submodule add git://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber.git
vendor/plugins/cucumber
git submodule add git://github.com/brynary/webrat.git vendor/plugins/webrat
git submodule add git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git vendor/plugins/rspec
git submodule add git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails.git
vendor/plugins/rspec-rails
Install Other dependencies

gem install term-ansicolor treetop diff-lcs hpricot

Bootstrap Cucumber

You’ll need a Rake task and a couple of files that configure Cucumber for
use with Ruby on Rails and Webrat. You create these with:

ruby script/generate cucumber

There is nowhere a mention of gems.  I am aware that rspec was/is anything
but stable in its configuration requirements so I wish to know: What is
the exact canonical method of installing rspec and all dependences for use
with cucumber.  Are the gems gone, or simply unnecessary?  Are the
cucumber instructions out of date?

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3