[rspec-users] [Cucumber] The User Story File

Aslak Hellesøy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 10:38:03 EST 2008

> Hi,
> The customer is not happy about writing Stories in a text editor.
> Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone using a wiki, spreadsheet,
> or word document and automatically converting to a text file?

There will be custom editors/wikis with aides like code completion,
nice visuals, running etc. Kinda like FitNesse, but nicer.

The plan is to make a RESTful API for Cucumber. I'm thinking a Sinatra
web app that uses the Cucumber CLI and exposes it with AtomPub or a
similar JSON api. The server would be part of the Cucumber gem, and
can be started up with a single command on any machine.

 From there I hope to see people developing richer clients like
standalone web apps, wikis, wiki plugins, Flex/Air apps, editor and
IDE plugins, hell, word and excel plugins in VB.NET even!

My experience tells me you can't get the customer/business to be comfy
in a simple text editor. I have accepted that as a fact it's not worth
working around in most cases. Kudos to those who can, I know some
teams succeed.

I have talked to a student who's working on the REST part as part of
his thesis. Please work with him if he shows up here on the list.

In order to successfuly make a usable REST API/server I will focus the
next weeks and months on improving Cucumber internals. Part of that is
an AST that will make manipulation of features, scenarios, tables and
steps easier, as well as a better data structure for output and errors.

I have started this work and I'm trying out different ideas. I expect
to make some visible progress before the end of the year.

Then I expect all the Cucumber forkers to take it and run. Thanks for
all the great contributions so far folks!