[rspec-users] features and form filling - going declarative?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Nov 7 10:37:28 EST 2008

On 7 Nov 2008, at 15:02, David Chelimsky wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:58 AM, David Chelimsky
> <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
>> wrote:
>>> One technique is to have a single noisy 'declarative' scenario that
>>> explicitly walks around filling things in, then all the rest use
>>> more
>>> 'imperative' style steps where most of the detail is buried away.
>>
>> You've got those backwards :)

Doh! What a chump. Sorry for the confusion.

>> declarative: when I fill in the form correctly
>> imperative: when I enter "David" in the "Name" field ....
>
> Although - maybe we need to reconsider this naming, because you could
> argue that either are declarative, whereas imperative, meaning
> important/urgent, doesn't really convey the explicit nature. I think
> abstract/concrete could work. Maybe general/specific.
>
> Other ideas?

To be honest, I find both words so boring I don't really read them,
and hence make those sort of mistakes. But that's my own stupidity at
fault, not the words'.

I am lacking inspiration to find any better ones, though.

It's more about whether the step is paramaterized, right? Is there a
term in the cucumber code for differentiating the two?

cheers,
Matt