[rspec-users] rspec gem vs "rspec plugin" vs "rspec-rails plugin" ???

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 06:56:59 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Greg Hauptmann
<greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com> wrote:
> so just to be clear are you saying:
>
> * rspec gem => All that is need for Ruby on Rails Rspec work
> * 'rspec plugin' => not needed (functionality in gem)
> * 'rspec-rails' plugin => not needed (functionality in gem)
>
> is this right?

Not quite

rspec gem or plugin => basic rspec without rails support (runner, rake
task, api for describe/it, should etc)
rspec-rails gem or plugin => extra support for rails model view and
controller, database integration, code generation (script/generate)

It doesn't matter whether you use the gem or the plugin. Just pick one
that suits your team.
(If you use the plugin you don't have to worry about people having
different versions installed, but it's alittle more work to install)

Aslak