[rspec-users] cucumber docs

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 03:53:15 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Tim Walker <walketim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much Aslak. That looks great. FWIW I have taught a
> class "Executable Requirements with FitNesse" as the director of
> training and coaching at Valtech and on the faculty of agile
> university. I went back to a real job recently and am now employed on
> a new enterprise class RoR project as the requirements manager and QA
> dude rolled in to one. In my analysis and discussions with others it
> looks like we're putting a stake in the ground around Cucumber (having
> passed through the Rails Integration testing, RubyFIT and other
> approaches along the way). I'm sure we'll have lots of questions. It

Thanks for sharing that Tim. I take that as a confirmation that we're
doing something right here :-)

> really is awesome stuff and am looking forward to this project with
> more excitement than I've felt in a long time (and I'm a fairly old
> dude, programming in assembler, fortran, c and even 360/40 JCL in my
> career). Seeing what you guys are doing is just over-the-top cool. BDD
> is great, Domain Driven Design is great. Stuff I wish I knew 20 years

Isn't it great to be in a field where you can feel there is some
progress and learning?
80% of what you find in BDD, RSpec and Cucumber comes from elsewhere.
Here is a list
that I have often used when I present BDD so people can go and dig fro more.

TDD/JUnit - Kent Beck
FIT - Ward Cunningham
Example Driven Development - Brian Marick
User Stories - Connextra team (Nolan, MacKinnon et al)
BDD daddys - Chris "business value" Matts and Dan "tastapod" North
ATDD/ATDP - Richard Watt and David Leigh-Fellows (I might be wrong on origin)
DDD/Ubiq Language - Eric Evans
The RSpec list - the catalyst of bringing all of this into a consistent whole

> ago. Requirements are the tests that implement them, not a separate
> SRS, they are the same thing. Literally. We want to do away with
> defect tracking and just write tests that reproduce them and break the
> build, treated like any other story. Your work makes all this
> possible.

Can I quote you on this? I need it for my campaign.

Aslak