[rspec-users] anyone able to explain logic behind "rake spec" startup (e.g. db:test:prepare => abort_if_pending_migration => invoke environment => etc etc)

Greg Hauptmann greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:07:39 EST 2008

I'm still a bit confused - I'll try to be more specific in questions:

* rake db:test:prepare - Check for pending migrations and load the test schema
  ==> Q1. DOES NOT RUN IN PENDING MIGRATIONS TO TEST DATABASE?
  ==> Q2. RE TEST SCHEMA - ARE THE MIGRATIONS USE TO CREATE THE
DATABASE OR THE DEVELOPMENT SCHEMA FILE???
  ==> Q3. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE CALLED MORE THAN ONCE?

* rake db:test:load - Recreate the test database from the current schema.rb
  ==> Q4.  WHY DO WE NEED TO LOAD FROM THE SCHEMA RATHER THAN
MIGRATIONS?  IS IT TO AVOID ANY DATA BEING LOADED BY MIGRATIONS FOR
THE TEST DATABASE?
  ==> Q5. WHY IS IT RUN MULTIPLE TIMES?

* rake db:test:purge - Empty the test database
  => Q6. WHY IS IT RUN MULTIPLE TIMES?
  => Q7. DOES IT DROP TABLES ALSO?

tks
Confused  :)