[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:32:06 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Mark Wilden <mark at mwilden.com> wrote:

> Time Machine is especially cool because it backs up hourly.
>
> My criterion has always been, if a meteor annihilates my computer, how long
> would it take to get back to work? No meteors yet, but better safe than
> sorry.

It's not sufficient for that scenario, however, because that meteor
would probably take out your nearby external backup drive as well.  My
preference is full-drive local backups and then important documents on
the Internet.  I have a JungleDisk (virtual network drives on top of
Amazon S3) workgroup account for my podcasting team.  It has some
problems with doing live work on it, but for storage or backup it's
easy and cheap.

But this is getting off-topic.  I just wanted to make the point that
blaming an upgrade glitch, however whacked-out it might be, for
cascading code fixes across all projects and losing a couple days of
work was probably unnecessary.  A good computer user should have the
power to turn back time.  I'm also unsure how moving from RSpec to
three totally separate tools reduces the risk of such dependency
glitches happening again.  It wasn't good that this happened, but
RSpec isn't the first and only gem ever to cause problems.

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)