[rspec-users] Caboosers drop RSpec

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:39:29 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Courtenay <court3nay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this is a python troll or not.. however, our biggest
> problem was the development environment, not production.

I hosed my development environment once.  I did pair programming with
a VIM junkie, and foolishly let him install whatever he wanted on my
laptop to embed MacVIM and make it telepathic, or something.  When he
was done I couldn't find my usual shell vi again.  (Yes, sometimes I
use vi instead of Textmate to edit config files and such.  But I don't
want it in a window with its own kitchen sink.)

Then the next day I installed Ruby 1.9 from MacPorts and, in the
process of making it the default, managed to delete the Ruby that came
with OS X.  Gems blew up everywhere, yadda yadda, and then I didn't
want it after all.  Stupid.

My point is that it did not take me days to recover from all this
screwiness.  I was using Time Machine.  I booted from the Leopard DVD,
said "Make it Wednesday again," and let it recopy my whole hard drive.
 Poof, problem never happened, and I didn't lose any work because
documents and projects were all on .Mac or Github.  (Prior to Time
Machine I used dirvish, and recovery would have been slightly more
complex but the same principle applied.)

You guys are famous programmers, so I know you must be disciplined
about backups and version control.  Why did they fail you?  Is it
RSpec's fault?

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)